Saturday, May 3, 2008

Who Shot Ya?!


So I'm half sleep on the sofa last night letting the effects of happy hour end my day while I watch the Wizards get what they deserve and the Celtics blow another one when my boy shows up at the door. During one of the breaks there is a brief news story concerning athletes and violence which led to a conversation that centered around popular rappers and their downfalls. B starts in on his thing about the government "assasinating" Biggie and Pac. Assassinate. Now I am a conspiracy theorists and rebel at heart so I usually ride with B when he goes on one of his tirades but I have always had a problem with this one. There are so many rappers out there that the government would keep tabs on and want to silence but not Big and Pac. Pac maybe but still a stretch in my honest opinion. If the government was really threatened enough by an artist that they would take them out I think they would have focused on different people. I can see the government looking at Chuck D and PE back in the day, KRS, X-Clan and so on. These days I could see them looking at Dead Prez and the handful of underground acts that speak out against our government. Killing them? Nah. 1) Conscious hiphop is no longer considered lucrative or popular so the audience is minimal compared to the commercial artist today. 2) Big and Pac didn't exactly preach rebellion to the people. Both seemed preoccupied with threatening their enemies and predicting their unavoidable downfalls at the hands of said enemies. While I have to admit that something shady is behind their deaths, our taxes didn't pay for it. We did that shit. We followed and pumped money into that stupid ass beef and then a bunch of jealous, ego driven, misguided "gangstas" that surrounded these dudes did that shit. If the government actually wanted them not to exist, all they had to do was sit back and watch. Just like they do with us every day. If we ever get organized and stop destroying ourselves you will see the government show interest beyond belief.
I only typed this to piss B off. I'm off to see what the big deal is about this Iron Man movie.

1 comment:

asabi said...

in the immortal words of that great philosopher Chris Rock " MLK was assasinated..Malcolm X was assasinated..Biggie and Pac? Dem niggas got shot!"